LawPlus Myanmar Ltd. is operated by a team of Myanmar lawyers with support from a team of lawyers of LawPlus Ltd. in Thailand. In Thailand, the team has been operating as LawPlus Ltd. since 2003. The main objective of the Firm is to provide local and multinational companies with top quality legal services in a timely manner at a reasonable cost.
Our Myanmar lawyers have in-depth knowledge and insight of the Myanmar laws, economy, society, culture and practice. Our partners and lawyers at LawPlus Ltd. work closely with the Myanmar team to ensure that our advices and opinions are accurate and practical and that our services are responsive and add values to the client’s businesses.
Our specialized practice areas include foreign direct investment, corporate, merger and acquisition, commercial, intellectual property, banking, telecommunications, information technology, employment, real property and dispute resolution.
We have actively advised, represented and handled matters for clients on their investments and business operations in Myanmar. The following are some representative transactions:-
Banking and Finance
- Advising a Chinese credit and debit card company on establishing a branch in Myanmar;
- Advising clients on foreign exchange control regulations applicable to remittances and repatriations of cross-border loans and investment funds;
- dvising a Thai IT service and trading company on establishing a microfinance company with a local joint venture partner.
Commercial and Dispute Resolution
- Preparing cross-border sale and purchase agreements for a Myanmar company to import trucks and heavy equipment;
- Representing a Myanmar client on claims for US$1.9 million damages under multiple sales and purchase contracts with a Chinese supplier;
- Advising a Japanese department store on commercial and investment laws;
- Advising a US technology services company on oil and gas laws and regulations;
- Obtaining an export and import registration certificate for a subsidiary of a Singaporean company.
Corporate and M&A
- Setting up a services company for a Singapore petroleum support services company;
- Setting up a healthcare services company for a Hong Kong client;
- Setting up a joint venture company for Japanese automobile company for importation and distribution of automobiles in Myanmar;
- Setting up two subsidiaries in Myanmar for a Singaporean company;
- Preparing joint venture agreements and related agreements for a Thai conglomerate for establishing a beverage manufacturing plant and advising on setting up two joint venture companies with a leading Myanmar group of companies;
- Advising a Thai public company listed on the Market for Alternative Investments on a joint venture with a local partner on a power plant project in Shan State;
- Advising a Thai hospital on obtaining an MIC permit for operating hospital business in Myanmar;
- Advising a Japanese tobacco company on general corporate and commercial matters;
- Advising a Swiss company on de-registering a branching;
- Handling capital increase and amendment of articles of association and memorandum of association of subsidiary of a Dutch company.
- Registering trademarks for a large number of multinational clients with head offices in Thailand, Japan and USA;
- Representing a Thai company on cancellation of an infringing trademark;
- Conducting trademark searches for a German company;
- Representing an industrial association in the UK on legal actions based on infringement of a trademark and collective mark;
- Conducting market searches, investigations and consumer surveys for foreign clients for legal actions against infringements.
- Advising a subsidiary of a Singaporean company on real property law and preparing an office space lease agreement;
- Advising a Hong Kong company on real property law and handling purchases and leases of lands by Myanmar investment partners;
- Advising a Myanmar client on permanent residence and transfer ownership in immovable property;
- Conducting a land due diligence for a telecom tower project for a joint venture company between a Singaporean company and a Myanmar company in Myanmar;
- Legal due diligence on shophouses and condominiums for an investor from China.
Telecommunications and Information Technology
- a US major bank on a mobile phone pay participating issuer agreement with a top mobile phone company
- NTT DoCoMo on telecommunications law applicable to the fleet management services using satellite based global positioning system terminals and worldwide web
- Ten Music Television Co., Ltd. on a joint venture with MTV Asia LDC
- The Motion Picture Associations of America on DVD copyright infringement via the Internet
- a US bank on a US$13 million loan to a leading telecoms company
LawPlus Myanmar Ltd.
Room 517 Yangon International Hotel
No. 330 Corner of Ahlone and Pyay Roads
Dagon Township, Yangon, Myanmar
Tel:+95 (0)92 6111 7006
and +95 (0)92 6098 9752
If you have any questions regarding our services or if you need any legal advice, please contact us.
We would be delighted to corporate with you